Friday, July 15, 2011

Avocado Idea From the Amazing Arianne :)

 So, my super amazing sister-in-law is teaching me how to start growing avocado trees.  They will probably never get any avocados on them, because of the climate here in Utah.  Well I started mine today and wanted to tell you about my experiment. 

Start with the avocados. I ate mine and they were delicious! Ok after you eat your tasty fruit (which it really is not a vegetable) you rinse off your avocado pits. Sit them in the window to dry for about a day.
 The next day get three glass jars and get your seeds.

Stick 3 or 4 tooth picks in them.  Preferably at an angle in order so you don't have to fill the jars very full.  Make sure that the point part is up.

Fill them with water to cover a little bit of the bottom of the pit.
 


Now there are a couple ways you can do this. 
  • Let the pit soak a few days then peel the pit.
  • Peel the pit all of the way
  • Peel just the bottom of the pit
(in my experiment I have one completely peeled, one only peeled at the bottom and then one soaking for a few days before I peel)


Try to let your future trees get sun :)

Then wait. (This is the step I am at.)

Then wait some more



And continue to wait :) 
 (I love this shot and this fun, silly cat)


My sister, Arianne, said that she had to wait at least a month to even notice a change in hers.
Because I am just starting this experiment you will have to stay tuned in order to find out which three will grow best. I am so excited for these :)

If you try your own experiment then leave me comments on how you may have found an easier solution, something worked better and/or grew better, and also anything else you would like to say :)

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! I love this. I'm excited to see how these turn out for you!!

    I am staying tuned!!! :D

    ReplyDelete